County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust places cookies on your computer to improve our website. These cookies don't collect information that identifies a visitor and are all anonymous.� They are used to measure its performance and to provide enhancements to you while using the site. To find out more about the cookies we use, see our privacy policy. Close
High Contrast Sitemap

Stay well this Bank Holiday


People across the North East and North Cumbria are being reminded to be prepared, stay safe and use the right services over the coming May bank holiday.

Repeat prescriptions

  • Order online in plenty of time via your GP Practice website - you need to be registered with your practice for this.
  • Order through the NHS App - download the app from Google Play or the App store, you can register without having to visit your practice.  More information on the NHS App is available on the website.
  • Order in person, at your GP Practice - simply tick the medicines required on the white, tear-off section of your prescription and drop it into your GP Practice, ask a relative or friend to drop it in for you, or post it.  Many practices have a box outside, so you don't need to go into the practice building to do this.
  • Make sure to collect your prescription from your designated pharmacy.


Be prepared

•         Be prepared for common health problems by keeping a well-stocked medicine cabinet at home.

•         Community pharmacists are part of your expert NHS health care team and are excellent at giving lots of advice about self-care and medications to treat common health conditions at home.

•         Health advice and information is also available via the NHS App or the NHS website, or from your local GP practice website which link to a range of online services.

•            For children's health advice you can download  The Little Orange Book

which covers a wide range of illnesses in children from common minor ailments including teething, constipation, and colds, through to more serious conditions.


Minor illness or injury

If you do suffer a minor injury or illness, NHS111 online is a great place to seek advice and can help you reach the right place for your care.


Emergency care

If you require emergency care, you should call 999, or go to your nearest Emergency Department. You should ONLY call 999 or go to an Emergency Department if you or someone else has a life-threatening emergency, such as:

  • signs of a heart attack
    chest pain, pressure, heaviness, tightness or squeezing across the chest
  • signs of a stroke
    face dropping on one side, cannot hold both arms up, difficulty speaking
  • sudden confusion (delirium)
    cannot be sure of own name or age
  • suicide attempt
    by taking something or self-harming
  • severe difficulty breathing
    not being able to get words out, choking or gasping
  • choking
    on liquids or solids right now
  • heavy bleeding
    spraying, pouring or enough to make a puddle
  • severe injuries
    after a serious accident or assault
  • seizure (fit)
    shaking or jerking because of a fit, or unconscious (cannot be woken up)
  • sudden, rapid swelling
    of the lips, mouth, throat or tongue

British Sign Language (BSL) speakers can make a BSL video call to 999.

Deaf people can use 18000 to contact 999 using text relay.



If you are concerned about how much you, or someone you know, drinks, there's lots of help available, including talking to your GP.

You can find your  local alcohol support service or contact:

Drinkline freephone: 0300 123 1110

Alcoholics Anonymous: 0845 769 7555

'I would like to thank all the staff for my treatment and their professionalism.'

Patient, Cardiology Department, Bishop Auckland Hospital